Wednesday 28 January 2015

Gearing Up For The New Season

Unusually, I have already had day's fishing this year which was on the River Tay. The Tay opened on the 15th January and it was great to get the cobwebs dusted off and back into a casting rhythm in good time for my local rivers, the Dee and the Don opening on the 1st and 11th of February respectively.

Like most close seasons, I spend the time tying flies and sorting out my kit. One difference this year is I have a new rod to play with. I purchased a 15ft Scott Mackenzie DTX Shooting Head rod and I must say that I am very impressed with it. It cast like a dream on the Tay and coupled with Scott's own Intermediate line, it flew out. I think I will enjoy using it!

My new 15ft Scott Mackenzie DTX Shooting Head rod. A dream to cast.
I also got myself some new running line and I opted for the Rio Gripshooter. I bought the 50lb breaking strain stuff and it comes in a bright yellow and orange colour. This was also very impressive and added several extra yards to my casting which will hopefully make the difference between catching a salmon and blanking.

The Rio Grip Shooter shooting line.
The patterns in my fly box have pretty much remained the same as last year with Franc N Snaeldas, Willie Gunns, Maggie's Shrimps and Park Shrimps dominating with a few other patterns including Ian Gordon's Swallow, Black and Yellows and Monkey Fly taking up the space left in my boxes.

Ian Gordon's Swallow Fly. A cracking fly for peaty water.
Several variations of Sean Stanton's Franc N Snaelda.
Calvin's Shrimp, Maggie's Shrimp and Park Shrimp. Invented by Ross MacDonald, these flies are a must for every fly box.

The Potarch Bridge at Ballogie where the Opening Ceremony will take place.
I am really looking forward to getting going again and hopefully, with a bit of luck, I shall have plenty "Bars of Silver" to show for my efforts. I shall be attending the River Dee Opening Ceremony at Ballogie again this year and will have plenty pictures and videos of the day to share so look out for them on my Blog next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment